Concerta Treatment for Adderall (ADHD) has been one of the most common for years. What is it? How does it work? Advantages and disadvantages… Everything here.
This information will solve all your headaches once and for all.
LET ME SOLVE ALL YOUR DOUBTS ABOUT CONCERTA
To start this article about Concerta, I’m going to tell you the same as about Medikinet. If you or your child have ADHD and are undergoing treatment, you will be interested in knowing the characteristics of this drug. Whether this or another one you are taking, it is important to know all of them in-depth to get the most out of them. I’m going to give you all the details about The Concerta Treatment for ADHD
WHAT KIND OF MEDICINE IS CONCERTA?
Concerta is another of the types of methylphenidate that has been on the Spanish market for years. It is also a specific treatment for ADHD.
They have been in Spain for more than 10 years. This means that there is already a long experience on the part of all the professionals who are dedicated to this. In addition, there are many thousands of patients being treated with this drug.
Like the other brands of methylphenidate, it is an old acquaintance. You can be calm because you know very well all its way of functioning in all its aspects both in the short and long term.
WHAT IS IT FOR?
Like the rest of the brands of Methylphenidate and the other ADHD medications, Elvanse and Strattera.
Concerta is used to improve the symptoms that your child may have (lack of concentration, hyperactivity, or impulsivity).
Therefore, improve day-to-day difficulties (academic performance, social relationships, behavior problems …).
AS IT DOES? HOW DOES IT WORK?
Well, as I already explained to you with the Medikinet and in the article ” The Pharmacological Treatment of ADHD “. The Concerta works by preventing decreased levels of dopamine in the brain areas that control behaviors affected in ADHD.
IT IS NOT ONLY FOR CHILDREN. ADULTS WITH ADHD ALSO GET BETTER WITH THIS TREATMENT
Pharmacological treatment of ADHD for adults has the same medications as children.
Plus, they generally work just as well. If you had not considered it, or if you already know that you have it, you can read my article on ” Attention Deficit in Adults ” It is very important that all cases of ADHD are detected in adults so that they can be treated, and thus reduces the difficulties of the day today. Check out this article on the topic ” Adults with undiagnosed ADHD in the family. “
What you should know is that the dose, the amount of medicine for adults, must be adjusted to their weight and need. You have to have a good ADHD specialist to handle it. Keep in mind that adult neurologists are not used to these issues and especially ADHD.
WHAT ADVANTAGES DOES THE CONCERTA HAVE COMPARED TO THE REST?
The effect lasts up to 12 hours, almost all-day
There is a fundamental advantage of Concerta over other brands of methylphenidate, the duration of the effect. Concerta lasts approximately 12 hours. This means that one does a day in the morning with breakfast is enough to cover a full day of normal work.
To achieve that duration, agree to have a medication delivery system called OROS. This system is based on the following points.
Each capsule has a colored envelope depending on the dose. That wrap is medication and is released as soon as the Concerta is taken. Then it begins to act immediately for 4 hours. It is immediate-release methylphenidate and accounts for 22% of the full dose of each capsule. As this happens, inside the shell, there is a rigid, hard capsule, with a part of titanium, which gradually absorbs water. As the water enters the capsule, it pushes the remaining amount of methylphenidate out for a total of 12 hours and with a maximum release of about 8 hours after taking. A 78% of methylphenidate. This is an advantage about the duration but a disadvantage in some cases as I will tell you later.
This is essential because we must all be clear that ADHD is present every day and throughout the day, with which we must manage to treat it for the longest possible period (whenever necessary) and also, in the most comfortable way possible. To understand it well you can check my article ” Understanding ADHD is the first step ” or other articles like Evans.
DISADVANTAGES OF THE CONCERTA. WHAT THINGS DO I NOT LIKE SO MUCH?
It comes in capsules that cannot and should not be opened, split, cut, or crushed :
- Well, the same advantage that makes it last 12 hours has the disadvantage that the capsule cannot be taken in any other way than the whole. That is, it should not be split, cut, crushed, or manipulated. In addition to being very hard due to the titanium component, cutting them would make the OROS delivery system not work and therefore wear out in a few hours and with the possibility of producing side effects from such a rapid release. You have to swallow it whole and this is not always easy for all boys.
Be careful, even 5-year-old children in my office have taken a Concerta capsule inside a piece of gelatin. Yes, d gelatin. You put the capsule inside and your child is sure to be able to sip it without problems. They do not swallow a small capsule but a large piece of gelatin, the contradictions of life.
It has a variable effect curve throughout the day. It works less in the morning than in the afternoon :
- Here we also have a similar situation. The OROS delivery system makes the percentage of medication that is acting at each moment of the day different. A 22% the first 4 hours and 78% delayed-release acting in 12 hours and the maximum effect at 8 hours or so. Most kids don’t notice such dose differences in their performance much throughout the day until it’s over, but teens and adults do notice it frequently. That is, the first 4 hours have the feeling that the effect is short and they work better in the afternoons. Evans can avoid this difficulty
An example of this I have had in several boys who when starting treatment has improved a lot in the daily work that parents and teachers of private classes have seen but little or nothing in school. The school teachers have not noticed any changes and this sometimes makes you doubt whether your child is doing things right or doing everything on his part. Complicated, right?
It has metabolism through the liver. We need control analytics
- This is important for several reasons, I focus on three mainly
- It needs analytical controls: As it passes through the liver, it depends on the enzymes that regulate the metabolism of this organ. This implies the need to monitor that they are working well and do not increase more than they should. The truth is that I have not had to remove any treatment for this reason, but the annual control analysis is mandatory in my practice to avoid surprises.
- There may be variability in the effect between people: among all of us there are variations in the way we metabolize drugs
- Normal metabolism: 95% of us have this type of metabolism. This makes the effect of Concerta last 12 hours, that of a paracetamol 8h …
- Slow and fast metabolizers: On the other hand, there is 5% of us who have such a fast metabolism that we quickly deplete the drugs in our body; or so slow that it takes us a long time to exhaust them. This can make the effect of the Concerta last less than expected and you need higher doses or on the contrary, that it lasts longer and you have side effects easily. Surely no one had explained this to you. I have kids in the office for whom the Concerta lasts 8 hours and others for whom the Medikinet lasts 12 hours. If I put Concerta on the latter, they would be past hours and effects.
- Interferes with alcohol: This, as with other medications. If you have an allergy to polaraime and a drink, the drowsy effects of polyamine will be enhanced along with the effects of alcohol. Well, the same goes for the Concerta, that is why it must be explained very well to avoid surprises.
DO YOU KNOW THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN OTHER DRUGS SUCH AS MEDIKINET OR ELVANSE …?
You can see the characteristics of each of them in their corresponding articles
- The Utility of Medikinet for ADHD
- Evans, the New Medication for ADHD
CAN IT BE MIXED WITH OTHER MEDICATIONS?
Of course, it can be used at the same time with almost any other drug. I have to differentiate you here two possibilities
- Medications that are NOT for ADHD
- It is important to know that in principle there are no contraindications for the use of other types of medications commonly used in pepitas such as parapetado, ibuprofen, syrups for colds, antihistamines for allergies.
- ADHD medications
- It is also important to know that sometimes we must associate it with other medications to cover other needs such as to conduct disorders. No problems