Yes, we all like burgers and pizza (junk food). We prefer meat over veggies. But do you know, such a diet can cause cholesterol problems? So if you are fond of such food, you must worry. Do you know high cholesterol has no pronounced symptoms and it can cause coronary heart diseases? How many of you are suffering from diabetes? Are you obese? If you relate to any of these queries, continue reading the topic. I will recommend you top medicines for cholesterol.
Who is most likely to have cholesterol problems?
Cholesterol is a building block for cell membranes in eukaryotic cells. As we humans are made of highly specialized eukaryotic cells, we must worry about cholesterol problems.
It is good to check cholesterol after some time to get diagnosed at the start. By this, you can evade the risk of many cardiovascular problems before starting.
- The risk of developing cholesterol problems increased for persons dealing with:
- Live problems
- High blood pressure
- Normally, cholesterol is produced in our bodies. We do not need to take it from some outsource. But if we take it in our food, it is okay until we have a control diet. People with fat-rich diets are also a victim of high cholesterol.
- High cholesterol is also associated with the age group of the individuals. This problem is frequently reported in men and women of the age group between 55 to 65 years.
Medicines for cholesterol
Tib e Unani gives three methods for lowering high cholesterol. These methods include various lifestyle changes and herbal remedies.
Lifestyle changes (ilaj bil tadbeer)
- Increase your physical activity. Do several exercises for increasing your mobility. A set of aerobic exercises on daily basis can help you in burning excess body fat.
- Say no to smoking and alcohol. Both these activities cause diverse effects on lipid profile. The toxic chemicals in smoke oxidize the Low-density lipoprotein (LDL). While alcohol consumption leads to an increment in triglyceride levels in the body. These triglycerides, when accumulate in the body, cause high cholesterol problems.
Healthy diets (ilaj bil ghiza)
- Avoid the uptake of fatty food in your meals. Your body can make the required amount of cholesterol itself. This technique is called taqleel e ghiza.
- Avoiding sugar and bakery products, especially in the case of diabetic patients is also a part of taqleel e ghiza technique.
- Increase the uptake of fibrous food. This may include various green vegetables and fruits.
- Add garlic, fenugreek, ginger, and artichoke leaves to your food.
Herbal medicines (ilaj bil dawa)
We have several herbal formulations as medicines for cholesterol. These herbal formulations have proved their effectiveness over time. We have made these herbal formulations by mixing different herbal extracts with other agents. These herbal extracts have a plant-based origin. Here is a list of herbal compounds introduced by Dawa Khana Hakim Ajmal Khan:
- Hab Rasaut Khas
- Nuskha No. 20
- Safoof Mohazzil
- Caleb e Rawan
We have a list of some single herbs that I recommend. But do not use these herbs or their herbal supplements without the suggestion of an herbal specialist or Hakim. These herbs may be effective in treatment for a short time, or may not affect at all. We are still unaware working efficiencies of these herbs as they work differently in different patients. But the important thing is, they all somehow help us in preventing the disease.
Artichoke leaves (Cynara cardunculus)
The leaves are very effective as a diuretic agent. They can induce bile secretions and may also cease cholesterol production in the liver.
Guggul (Commiphora mukul)
It is a sticky, gum-like material. We can take it from various plants. It helps in cholesterol treatment by lowering the LDL and LLDL within one month. This resin may also increase the production of HDL (good cholesterol).
Alfafa (Medicago Sativa)
This herb gives a cholesterol-lowering effect. But we usually avoid the use of this herb as there is only a little research done. The structure of alfalfa is just like estrogen. It is rich in vitamin K.
Guar Gum (Cyamopsis retragonoloba).
We extract guar gum from the guar plant. This gum is a galactomannan polysaccharide. This plant is helpful in the treatment of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and intestinal bowel syndrome (IBS). Due to limited research, we do not know the exact working of his herb.
High Cholesterol is a serious problem and we have plenty of treatments and medicines for cholesterol. All these are either methods for prevention or for lowering cholesterol.