macOS is a operating system used by Apple Inc. It is based on the Darwin kernel and was first released in 2001 as Mac OS X.
Some of the more notable features are:
System Integrity Protection (SIP) is a security feature introduced with macOS 10.11. Although it has existed since version 10.7, SIP was only open to system software and apps signed with Apple’s own cryptographic keys.
SIP works by restricting some of the macOS executables, libraries and drivers that can be accessed by both privileged (system) processes as well as unprivileged processes. This is done to prevent malicious or flawed software from compromising the operating system. As such, SIP is a type of kernel-level rootkit prevention mechanism.
The Gatekeeper function is designed to protect users from downloading and installing malicious software. It does this by verifying the digital signature of an app before allowing it to be installed. If the app is not signed by a registered developer, or is not from the App Store, Gatekeeper will refuse to install it.
The App Store is a distribution platform for macOS and iOS apps developed by Apple Inc. It was first introduced in January 2008 with the release of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. The App Store allows users to purchase and download apps, games, books, music, TV shows and other content directly to their device. In the case of macOS, Apple also uses the App Store as a way to distribute updates to system software.
The latest Mac operating system is macOS X (pronounced “ten”) this is the most advanced desktop operating system in the world, even without support for multiprocessing applications yet.
It features a new 64-bit processor called yosemite (“yoh-ess-met-ill”): this means it can run more than 4GB of memory per core, making it faster and more reliable.
The graphical user interface has been completely overhauled with a new design called “mavericks” after the surfing location in california. icons are flatter, and translucent windows give a sense of depth and space.
macos x includes hundreds of new features, including:
- A redesigned finder that lets users access all their files, applications and network servers with just one click.
- A redesigned dock that can be hidden or shown with gesture control using three fingers. it also provides notifications for new messages, downloads and updates.
- Built-in support for video chat using integrated skype software. this makes the mac the perfect platform for online meetings and collaborations.
- A new application called “mission control” that provides a bird’s-eye view of all open windows and applications, making it easy to switch between them.
- Integrated support for facebook, twitter, flickr, vimeo and youtube, as well as icloud drive for online file storage, making it easy to share and access documents on any apple device.